Under the supervision of the Division Supervisor, The Seasonal Field Operator inspects and abates nuisance and vector mosquitoes in a safe, effective and systematic manner, using prescribed techniques.
- The Field Operator routinely inspects all known or suspected mosquito production sites in his/her assigned area.
- The Field Operator applies the prescribed insecticides at designated dosage rates with truck-mounted or portable spray equipment.
- The Field Operator prepares and submits daily work sheets and maintains operator’s log, vehicle and equipment reports, etc.
- The Field Operator, at the discretion of the General Manager, works extra hours on weekdays and on Saturdays, Sundays, or holidays at over-time pay rate of time and a half.
- The Field Operator performs any and all task assigned to him/her by supervisory personnel.
The Seasonal Field Operator will begin as a Trainee for a probationary period at an hourly wage set by the Board of Trustees of the South Cook County Mosquito Abatement District. Upon successful completion of the Pesticide License test his/her hourly wage will be increased. If, after three attempts, the employee fails to pass his/her pesticide test, he/she will be dismissed.
If the employee receives a satisfactory employee rating by his/her Supervisor and full-time positions are available, at the beginning of the next year’s mosquito season, the seasonal employee may be considered for full-time employment, receiving a yearly salary and full benefits.
The Field Operator must be a high school graduate or the equivalent.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE OR SKILLS:
The applicant must have at the time of employment, a valid State of Illinois Drivers License and provide the District with a print out of his/her driving record obtained from the Illinois Secretary of State. The seasonal employee will be provided with study materials and instruction to take and pass the Illinois Department of Agriculture Pesticide License test in order to be licensed to apply pesticides.
The Field Operator must, at the end of training and/or probationary period, be able to make necessary field identification of important mosquito larvae and adults in order to take proper corrective action. He must at the end of his/her probationary period, have a thorough working knowledge of the vehicles, spray equipment and chemicals used and must have a thorough knowledge of safety rules for operation and use of the same.
The Field Operator must be in good general health, have good eye sight and must be able to pass a physical exam scheduled and paid for by the District. He/she must be cable of carry out strenuous physical activity on a daily basis.
LIST OF EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS
- Except for clerical positions, you must be 18 years old and have a valid driver’s license.
- If accepted for employment, you must have a clean driving record and supply us with a driving profile from the Illinois Secretary of State. A Clean Driving record is described as follows:
- No violations or accidents in the past year and not more than 2 violations or accidents in the past three years.
- We cannot consider you for a driving position if you have had a D.U.I. conviction.
- You are required to pass a physical exam.
- When completing the application, give complete addresses for previous employer and personal references.
- For field operator and/laboratory assistant positions, you will be required to take and pass the State of Illinois Pesticide Exam. Study materials will be provided.